Tony Martinez brings over 40 years of experience practicing law to MBMT. Tony graduated from The University of Texas at Austin and attended St Mary’s University where he received his Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. Over his career, Tony has represented countless individuals in Brownsville and South Texas and prides himself in giving a voice to those in need.
He is well-known for representing 16 families in Brownsville whose children suffered from neural tube defects and eventual death as a result of toxic chemical run-off from Mexican maquilas. The companies filed out of court and awarded millions of dollars to the families. Tony is committed to bringing justice to the people of Brownsville and is not dissuaded from cases that seem untenable.
Along with his vast law experience, Tony served as the Mayor of Brownsville from 2011 to 2019. While serving as mayor he counts among his accomplishments the Resaca restoration, the expansion of the South Padre Island International Airport, the revitalization of Downtown Brownsville, the cultivation of Space X’s presence in Brownsville, to name a few. He brings this “can do” approach to politics to everything he does.
Some of the major accomplishments as Mayor of Brownsville :
- Fought for the rights of all constituents to speak at City Council meetings and maintaining an open-door policy.
- Continued to push hard for infrastructure and traffic improvements.
- Continued to make public safety and security a paramount feature of his responsibilities.
- Worked closely with all federal, state, county, and local law enforcement agencies to ensure Brownsville is safe for all residents and visitors alike.
- Made efforts to revitalize Brownsville’s business and manufacturing sectors.
- Improved relationships and collaboration with Brownsville’s business community.
- Encouraged national and international businesses to locate to Brownsville.
- Built strong relationships between businesses and regional educational entities (ISD’s, UT-RGV, TSC, etc.)
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- St. Mary’s University
- J.D. – May 1970